CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Macinac Island

My awesome mother took  me on a much needed getaway for a few days.  I don't get a chance very often to get away from the girls. That sounds bad, but as every mom knows, you need a break.  We went to Macinac Island in Michigan, up by Canada.  Most people haven't heard of this place, but it is fantastic.  It's a small island that you can  only get to by boat.  Once you get there the only transportation that is there is bike or horse and buggy.  You literally take a step back in time.  If you've ever heard of the movie Somewhere in Time, this is where the movie was filmed.  We are both lovers of that movie so decided to go somewhere we will probably never go again.  Although I want to take Jesse and the kids someday!!

This is the 5 mile bridge that takes you over to another island.  The ferry that takes you to the island takes you by this amazing bridge. 
The Grand Hotel....And it is Grand.  This hotel is so beautiful.  It is still decorated for the late 1800's.
 We were lucky enough to stay in a huge room with a gorgeous view of the lake and the bridge.  This would be one thing to add to your bucket list!
This is one of my favorite pictures.  
We rented a couple bicycles to explore the island in.  What an incredible way to see the beauty.  It was pretty exhausting, but we had massages scheduled later in the day, so we knew it would be worth it.  

The view from our room.  We ordered room service one night so we could watch the sunset and say we have ordered room service!
                                                   Smiling with some guy at Fort Macinac
 I can't remember what this was called, but it was absolutely breath taking.  The water is so clear. Too bad it is so cold.
We went on a private tour that took us around the island showing us all of the sites and telling us all of the history.  It was such a blast except for the fact that my mom has really  bad allergies and could barely see that day because of all of the tears pouring out of her eyes.  Sorry mom!
Finally, the food.  My Dad would have mentioned this first!  They had 5 coarse meals for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  I love food, but i'm more of the taco bell, arby's kind of girl that is horrible for you.  I'm not used to expensive food.  We also did a a bunch of shopping and played a little croquet and acted like Jane Seymour on Somewhere in Time.  My sisters also talked us into going on a ghost tour which was terrifying. I had nightmares all night. Thanks sisters!  We I had so much fun with my mom and am grateful that she was able to take me on this trip and that we had so much fun.

My cute husband was able to take some time off and go hunting in Utah.  He hiked for pretty much 5 days straight and said he had a blast in the freezing cold, tracking deer all day long.  Boys, who would have guessed!  Thanks Cody and Beth for taking such great care of our girls while we were enjoying a little R&R. The girls had a blast and I'm so glad they could spend time with there grandparents.

1 comments:

Kina Lambert-Anderson said...

Wowzer, Babe! I've been waiting for this post! I think the R&R did you good - you look amazingly beautiful. I'm so glad you had a fun time!